Tuesday, October 2, 2007

"Always Love"- Nada Surf

As I was sitting on my couch trying to write this blog, I realized I had been sitting in the same spot for almost two hours trying to figure out what my passion, favorite book, song, or film was. It appeared to me that I was going to flunk this assignment because of the fact I couldn’t come up with anything whatsoever. That was until hearing "Always Love" by Nada Surf play through my computer speakers. Nada Surf’s “Always Love", is a simple yet meaningful and inspiring song that has a way of positively influencing the way I think.

The first time I heard “Always Love” I didn’t pay any attention to the lyrics, but after the third time around, I realized that this song had more depth to its lyrics; attempting to prove a point to its audience. It really makes me think about my life and how I spend my time. Understanding that life is so full of imperfections and hard times, I needed to accept that whatever happens, happens for a reason. If I spent those hard times sulking and wishing things were different, the situation would never improve and progressively get worse. That continuous thought process would forever burden my life, thoughts, and ambitions. It would be as if I were taking two steps backward for every step forward. "Always Love", in a way, brings me back to reality and has shown me that every decision or action I make can either positively or negatively impact my life and the people around me.

The first verse on the song begins like this: “To make a mountain of your life/ Is just a choice/ But I never learned enough/ To listen to the voice that told me/ Always love...Hate will get you every time/ Always love... Don't wait til the finish line". This verse is the most meaningful to me. It basically means that every choice I make in my life determines who I am going to be and who I will be known as after I have died; whether it be a great life or a regretful one. This verse gives me the optimism to believe that one day I might positively impact the people around me. With every decision I face throughout my life, there will always be that little voice in my head persuading me to do the right thing but at the same time there will be an even louder voice trying to convince me to do wrong which I must overcome to be successful.

Music has a way of unexpectedly influencing the way I view life. "Always Love" by Nada Surf is one of those few songs that has positively impacted me into rethinking my life and how I choose to live it. The lyrics are simple enough yet have a greater, positive, underlying meaning. This is the reason why "Always Love" is and will always be my favorite song.

No comments: