Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Monsignor Tom

Throughout my life, I have had the opportunity to meet an array of diverse people. All with their own unique personalities. Yet there is only one truly amazing person who has significantly impacted my life: Monsignor Tom Wallace.

It all started when I turned nine and decided to become and alter server at my local parish; St. Martha’s. Monsignor Tom had recently been assigned to our parish to serve as a beacon to bring our parish up out of its economic turmoil. From the first day I met him, he lived a humble life; a life Jesus wants everyone to live. He was a thin, average height man with grayish side burns running along the side of his face and a balding head. Everyday he wore a black pair of two-sizes-too-big of slacks with a button up, blue, plaid jacket and a white t-shirt underneath. He also wore a pair of worn down black sandals and black socks. In his right hand he carried a half empty bottle of Diet Coke and in his left hand a lit cigarette. Monsignor Tom was a very kind, gentle, and soft spoken man who never raised his voice towards anyone. No matter where he was or what he was doing, he always had a pleasant smile upon his worn and wrinkled face. His walk was slow yet graceful and his presence was felt whenever he walked into a room. If an angel were to come down to Earth disguised as a person, he would be Monsignor Tom. He once told me during confession that “you will probably get to heaven before I do” which says a lot about him. During the time I was an alter server, I had grown to understand that the only thing that matters in life is living a holy life and seeing him live that life, makes him the most influential person to me.

Monsignor Tom has influenced me in so many different ways that I am now just realizing those ways as I reflect on them. The first thing that comes to my mind whenever I think of Monsignor Tom is how he truly does live every day of his life to the fullest following the examples of Jesus Christ. With such an optimistic and cheerful personality, it did not appear that he had any ill hatred toward anyone or anything. Secondly, his humble attitude really stood out to me because I had never, in my life, met anyone who was not even slightly selfish or worried about his own well being. He always put other people’s needs before his own without fail. For instance, he had pulled some money together and was trying to save up for a some what decent car, but just as he was going to buy his car he decided to give that money to the church. Thanks to him the church was brought out of debt. Monsignor Tom never announced his generous donation but somehow word got around and a truck was anonymously given to him. The third thing that has influenced me is his continuous optimism. I honestly can say that I have never heard him say anything negative or slightly pessimistic. This man has made me look at my life and ask myself “why can’t I be just as positive and humble as Monsignor Tom especially when he makes it look so easy?“ This just goes to show what an amazing person he was and still is.

Since I met Monsignor Tom, I see things in a different perspective. He has shown me that nothing is more important than serving the Lord and following in his foot steps and once you have reached that point you can live a life of complete happiness. Monsignor Tom, by far, is the most influential person I have had the opportunity of knowing and has and will forever influence the way I live my life.

1 comment:

Eddie Van Blundht said...

😤👆👌